Must read for developers!
Before we start on any project we first think about the following things at a glance:
- Scope of the project
- Timeline & Goals
- Testing & Release
- Repeat ( for any new or updates updates )
But during the implementation phase we forget about these. In the bargain we tend to spend twice the amount of time on next steps.
So what should we do in this scenario?
The answer is: Planning & Checklist
Yes, you read it correctly. Planning a project in its initial stage and having proper Checklist to meet your goals is an effective Project Management technique many managers use to help develop plans, help in reports and delegation.
You might have heard of the concept Agile Development which focuses on development cycle:
Plan ➝ Design ➝ Develop ➝ Test ➝ Release ➝ Examine ➝ Repeat
I recommend reading the article Software Engineering - Agile Software Development
But let’s be real, in the midst of our development, we tend to overlook the development goals and then repeat the same thing over and over again.
So what do we do then?
I would like to share the top 10 things I do before I start a project.
- What is the scope of the project and does it meet the clients requirements?
- How many resources do I need to complete the project efficiently?
- What are my goals and milestones?
- Have we worked on any similar project or resources who have worked on this kind of project?
- How many checklists should I create for completion of every milestone?
- Which project management tool will work in our favor?
- Which bug reporting tool be used for bug management?
- Which code version / repository management tool should be used like: Github?
- Schedule meetings at every development cycle and milestones.
- Repeat planning and evaluation at regular intervals to update the working of the project.